Translate

Monday, 7 January 2013

Help ME

Good afternoon all!  I am NOT actually asking for assistance for myself.....

But it certainly appears that there are an increasing number of people who do need assistance.

I went to sydney CBD yesterday to see a job Coach to assist me with my search and direction setting for my own jobseeking activities.This was a sucessful adventure and could well recommend the services of Clive Leach Consulting  http://www.cliveleach.com/

However while there one of the things that struck me was how many people are sitting on the streets with HELP ME signs of a variety of colours and descriptions.

However one particular person caught my attention.  (and it is not the sign above)   Her sign simple said Homeless Help ME... Thanks.

Now I am a person who tries to recognise all people and as I read this sign I was troubled.  As to ask for a statement of HELP ME for a person on the street even to somebody who has worked in welfare for many years just seems so over whelming.  There is little that you can do as a stranger and a passer by.

However as I am a person who is generally well educated and undertaken training in the use of Persuasion I thought that I may be able to offer assistance with her message.

I stopped bent down to talk with the lady who about her sign.  I suggested that like many many people who walk by her many of the people probably have similiar thoughts as I do about helping somebody in this situation is just to overwhelming.  However with a simpier message a few more may just stop and or offer what assistance they can.

The advise I offered her was that it may be more benificial to change her sign to state..
"Help ME see the beauty available in the world by offering me your spare change...."

To me this is a better message as I assume that many people who enter the city are rushed and seeking specific items or activities.  Often in this rushed state we as Humans often miss the opportunity to share in the Beauty that IS available to us all around.  By targeting the ability to assist and share in that beauty for somebody who may obviously be struggling at present it may well assist ourselves to know that although we may NOT have time to see this beauty we can through our spare change allow others who are struggling see the beauty that can be afforded to us through the expression of compassion to another.

This is based on a known tactic used by another in a similiar circumstance.  See below.



I had little to give due to my own circumstance but I had information and as can be seen in the clip information and words can make a difference.

The thing that I have come to know is that the overwhelming body of research from items such as Positive Psychology suggests that the more connected we are the greater our individual well being.

So yes it is just after Christmas and the new year period and many of us are beginning or are already at "WORK" and getting back into the swing of things.  However this time of renewal can be opportunity to continue the "same old same old" or we can choice to reflect and show gratitude for what we have already and welcome the opportunity to share our wellbeing with others and show a little beauty to others of our fellow humans.

Funnily enough on the same journey to the city I dropped into to see the new movie "The Hobbit" (which was great BTW)   and as I had already had the interaction with the lady described above I was struck by a particular line that Gandalf stated while speaking with the the Lady of Lorien, -Galadriel

"Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps because I am afraid, and he gives me courage."- Gandalf
If this is the case then our individual small activities are not so over whelming in that it is what small activities that we do everyday that amount to a huge accumulation of good that defeats evil.

As a sideline issue while we are talking of Gandalf and fantasy genre.  I refelct on why I have a personal love of this genre.  I suspect that it may well be that within this genre there is a predictability that Good will defeat evil even after a tremendous battle, which allows for the survival of hope and joy.  But at the same time I feel that this genre also reminds us (or at least me) of the potential for good within our world before the accumulation of HURT has built up within us that turns us into such terms as jaded, cynical, bitter, fatigued.  Or to describe the term.
End result of having a steady flow of negative experiences, disappointment, and unfulfillment fed into a person where they get to the point where their anger circuits just sort of burn out and they accept disillusionment.
If I was to figh in a war it would be the internal war to beatback this feeling!! To experience people in all forms and circumstance and greet them with as much joy as I have available to me at that moment.

Join me in the fight!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment